The NIA has been a huge draw for visitors to Birmingham since it was officially opened in 1991; the flexible arena has since gained a global reputation for world-class sports, headline comedy and music, and a diverse range of crowd-pleasing live entertainment.
Now it’s time to look to the future……
Set to undergo a £20.6 million transformation, the modernisation of the NIA aims to take advantage of its unique location on the city’s canal side and will feature a new showcase entrance straight from Brindleyplace into the arena, with large glazed views over the water and the city.
Work will get underway in late 2012 and will include improved facilities and a much greater emphasis on both the pre and post show experience. Coupled with an exciting partnership with Barclaycard, the NIA will offer a vastly improved experience for anyone setting foot in the arena.
The NIA, A Barclaycard Unwind Experience, will reopen at the end of 2014 and will offer amazing new experiences, as well as first-class facilities and the world’s best performers.
What is happening during Winter 2013?
Things will start happening at a pace very soon. The schedule of work for Winter 2013 is:
- Arena level
- Existing stores removed and car park void infill slab constructed
- New north technical store constructed
- New heating ring main pipe work installed
- Existing staircase removed and security control room constructed
- New star dressing rooms constructed
- Piles for new ‘D’ structure constructed from within level 7 car park
- Access to car park from existing south entrance created
- Access gained to level 7 car park from existing south entrance
- Concourse level
- Access gained through opening formed in existing wall
- New slab concreted over existing staircase Jan – Feb 2013
- New male and female toilets constructed Jan- Apr 2013
- Existing staircase removed and new slab formed Jan 2013
- New ring main pipework installed
- Existing plantroom extended, Cofely plant installed, new plant and equipment installed Access to level 7 plant room gained from north car park
- Existing trees and vegetation removed Feb 2013
- Level 03 Mezzanine
- Floor slab for new Barclaycard lounge constructed
- No public access will be available to the concourse area below the new mezzanine floor slab during 4th – 18th Feb 2013
- All access for construction will be from north concourse doors CL1 and CL1.6
Many thanks for permission to publish the above text and images to Chris Pile, Marketing Manager – arenas, The National Exhibition Centre Limited.
Keep in touch with progress……
Periodic NIA Redevelopment Engagement Nights (left) will be held where you can keep in touch with plans and progress the next of these will be held on 31 January at 6:15pm in the NIA Olympian Suite 1.
A monthly newsletter, latest The Bigger Picture – Dec 12, will also be issued.
There is also a website, future.thenia.co.uk where you can keep up with progress.